Sunday 25 September 2011

First colour character design!!

I have finally moved on to developing the colour schemes of the characters.  Well, with the hero anyway.  I have just spent the past few hours in Photoshop tracing a drawing of the hero character and then colouring him in.  I was going to paint it seen as I'm not that hot with a graphics tablet, but I decided that it would be better to experiment with colour and texture through digital means as this gives me an opportunity to see what works when it comes to texturing and also to experiment with more than one colour scheme on the same character.

Here is the design as it looks now.
The colour scheme may be subject to change but this will perhaps be left until after I have finalised the villain's design and colour scheme as I will be able to work at making their colours either complementary or contrasting to one another.  I am also keen on designing this character so that he slightly alters his colour depending on his mood.

The neon effect that I have created was done by colouring in the illuminated areas in a separate layer and then duplicating that layer.  I then applied the Drop Shadow, Inner Shadow, Outer Glow, Bevel and Emboss and Colour Overlay Effects and I tweaked them, using this tutorial on creating a neon light effect in Photoshop.  At first, I followed this tutorial to the letter, but I eventually began customising it by myself to suit the look of the character.

The circuit board effect was done just by getting a photo of a circuit board and then using the clone tool. I changed that Layer from Normal to Overlay to make it look as if this is contained inside the joints of this character.

Please feel free to give me any feedback on this character and also any suggestions for possible names will be welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment